Go now, a child of God. Choose well the road you take,
And the decisions you make. Keep in mind always that The God you serve continues to call to you, making you more and more every day into the faithful one God wants you to be.

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Twelve

Most of the lessons we learn from the bible at church are about mercy and love from God. Pastor Anderson at Logos Baptist Church asked a few Sunday’s ago if the congregation feared the Lord.
“Do you fear the Lord?”
I sat in my chair and said “yes.” But Pastor Anderson went on to say that believers did not have to fear the Lord. I am a believer and I fear the Lord.
I think in context of what Pastor Anderson was saying was that believers do not have to fear the Lord in death or after death. I fear the Lord in my Life.

I read Joshua chapter 7 tonight and chapter seven is about Achan. Achan sinned, he stole some things he should not have. God had commanded that when Jericho had been overtaken – everything - not some things but everything had to be destroyed. Achan took some silver and some gold and a robe. He had hidden it in his tent. His actions went against the nation as a whole in God’s eyes. God could not have one person disobey his commandments, and not take him seriously, that kind of disobedience would have a domino affect and if one was allowed to sin, what would stop others from sinning? God was angry and was about to let Israel be destroyed by the Amorites. Joshua did not know why and he went to God and prayed to ask why and this was God’s answer:

Joshua 7:11-12
11 Israel has sinned; they have violated my covenant, which I commanded them to keep. They have taken some of the devoted things; they have stolen, they have lied, they have put them with their own possessions. 12 That is why the Israelites cannot stand against their enemies; they turn their backs and run because they have been made liable to destruction. I will not be with you anymore unless you destroy whatever among you is devoted to destruction.

God put his foot down and told Joshua if he did not correct this disobedience, he would turn his back on Joshua and all of Israel. So Joshua had no choice but to take action and do as the Lord said.

Joshua 7: 24-26

24 Then Joshua, together with all Israel, took Achan son of Zerah, the silver, the robe, the gold wedge, his sons and daughters, his cattle, donkeys and sheep, his tent and all that he had, to the Valley of Achor. 25 Joshua said, "Why have you brought this trouble on us? The LORD will bring trouble on you today."
Then all Israel stoned him, and after they had stoned the rest, they burned them. 26 Over Achan they heaped up a large pile of rocks, which remains to this day. Then the LORD turned from his fierce anger. Therefore that place has been called the Valley of Achor ever since.

I do fear the Lord. At any time God has the power to take away everything He has given me.
“Whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things” (Philippians 4:8).

A daily walk with God, is not a walk when everyone is looking, it is a walk that not only contains your actions but also your thoughts. A fear of the Lord is knowing that you are on a constant surveillance camera that has x-ray vision into your soul.

Are my thoughts and actions constantly with God? If not they should be. I am responsible for my actions and I accept the punishment.

Growing up my father was a strict parent. When I would cry to him about some injustice, he would ask me what I had done to bring it upon myself. Then he would tell me, it was my burden to bear. Cruel maybe, but I learned not to blame others for things going on in my life. I am not saying that all misfortune is the bearer’s fault, but in instances such as financial woes, relationship troubles and the like, be bearer has to accept their part of the responsibility.

If it was God that put you where you are in some misfortune, fear Him, and call out to Him, repent and turn away from doing whatever it was that got you in the situation you are in. I know God put me where I am, alone reading my Bible, no cable T.V. and prayfully asking for His mercy, in my relationships and my finances.

May God also have mercy in my relationship with Him. Part of my reconciliation with God is to put God back into my life – my praise and worship, my actions, and my thoughts. God can sometimes ask you to do some things or have you in some situations that you do not completely understand, but draw near to Him and He will be with you through your trial.

Grace and Peace to you from God our Father.

1 comment: