Go now, a child of God. Choose well the road you take,
And the decisions you make. Keep in mind always that The God you serve continues to call to you, making you more and more every day into the faithful one God wants you to be.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

God's Will- Week One

At times we put a lot of effort in getting to know other people. We see someone and instantly know their story and share it with others around us.

"Jane there, has three kids and one is an honor student and the other two are toddlers. I dont know how she balances her life with her alcoholic husband!"
"Bobby, just surprised his wife with a new car. She is a lucky girl."
"I think Sam has a love child and his wife doesnt know."


How often do we look at ourselves?
What are others saying about us as we walk by?
Do they know us at all?
What do we want others to see and say about us?
I asked a friend to give me some characteristics about herself that she might share with someone interested in getting to know her. Her description of herself was this: kind, caring, giving, and a darn good friend!
She also mentioned her flaws, and said that some she was ashamed of and was trying to change those things.
Mostly those were the things she didn't want someone else to know.

I have always accepted her and loved her even knowing her flaws. I know that God loves us in the same way.

Here are 16 things about me, that are deeper than the obvious- single, mother of one, short, and unique; since I have approx. two real friends- everyone might not know these things about me... so here goes:


1. I believe in God. I know that I am more than just a human, and I am God's, at His service to do His will. I am not offended when someone says I dont get asked out because I have a lot of "Jesus" on my facebook page.

2. I accept reality. The good and the bad of life.

3. I like myself and others. I am as objective as I am subjective in my perception of people.

4. I am spontaneous. I am not hung up on what others think I should be. I do what is good and natural, simply because that is how I feel. My actions are not to try and hurt others but I have respect for what is good for me, if I’m angry, I will be angry, If I am joyful I will be joyful and genuine with my feelings towards myself and others. If I want to drink alcohol, I do, but not to hurt others or myself, I am aware if I am drinking too much.

5. I am genuinely concerned for others problems and if I am able to help, I do. I value others problem solving solutions also and seek counsel when I am troubled.

6. At times I have a need for privacy. I am a social person and enjoy the company of others but at times I have a need for solitude. I can have people close to me and their presence is sufficient without interaction. I am a great companion.

7. I am capable of doing things for myself and making decisions on my own. I believe in who and what I am. I try not to regret my choices.

8. I am always curious and interested in the world around me. I love to travel. I have appreciation for simple and fun things, like watching a sunrise or sunset, feeling the wind or heat of the sun, and delight in playing with children enjoying their innocence and curiosity and still able to be an adult.

9. I am sensitive to people around me. At times I have conversations with people about subjects I know nothing about, but they have a need to talk about them, and I give them perspective.
10. I have very few friends, but the ones I do have are long lasting and very meaningful. I love my friends.

11. I allow others to be themselves. I do not try to change people. I accept others for their strengths and weaknesses. I allow others to say whatever they want, without swaying my judgment or personal opinion. I am genuine with my perceptions and feelings.

12. I sometimes like to be able to see the whole picture about situations, and make the best of what is. Good and bad, but mostly I see good more than I see bad. For instance if a person I know has been in some trouble, the trouble isnt always the person. My brother manufactured illegal drugs, but it did not change that he was my brother or that he loved me, but I also did not have a blind eye to his actions.

13. I am witty and have a non-hostile sense of humor. I do not like making fun of others to make them feel bad. I don’t appreciate others who do.

14. I am highly creative, but not just in one area. I write, I paint, I design, I sew, I cook without a cookbook at times, I am a do-er instead of a planner when I decide what I want to do. I can usually accomplish my creative ventures.

15. I realize I’m not perfect. I know I have my personal flaws just like other people. If there is a way to improve something about myself I am open to doing it. Like being messy, I will eventually clean stuff up. So even at times when I am comfortable with myself, I am also aware of areas I can improve on.

16. I am not a follower of society or culture. For example if all my friends are getting liposuction, I do not feel the need to do it also. If everyone else has a $400,000 home, I do not have to have that to like myself or prove myself or worth to others. I am content with what I can afford and what makes my life fulfilling.

I am no different than my friend or anyone else, I have my own secrets. These things I repented of and gave up to God. With repentance I was able to let my past be my past and not something I could return to. I still have secrets, but thankfully, I only had to share them with God.

In the study of seeking God's will and what I have been in thought and prayer about this past week is

Who am I to God?
Colossians 3: 12-17

"12 Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. 13 Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. 14 And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.
15 Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. 16 Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts. 17 And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him."

Did I mention any of these characteristics when I listed things about myself?
Am I kind, compassionate, humble, gentle, patient, forgivign, loving? I might have said these things if I wasn't so detailed, but I detailed to show depth and that I didnt just choose characteristics from a list. 

My friend hit the nail on the head when she listed her own characteristics!
God's still working on me!
I hope God is at work in your life too!
To God be the Glory for the work He is accomplishing through those who know Him.


How much effort have we given to getting to know God?

1 comment:

  1. extraordinary temptation to just cut and paste what you have written...for you speak my heart. Although true that imitation is the highest compliment, I do not wish to be you...I do wish to partake of you. Forgive this one sentence from you ...and delight in playing with children enjoying their innocence and curiosity and still able to be an adult. The one truth I find in me is that in my first 68 years, the purest joy came to me when I was given the highest gift that Our Father in Heaven can bestow on us His children a new born Child. I was present at the supreme moment when a Child was born into this World and placed in my trembling Hands to Protect from all evil. God I am not worthy. Why do Thy trust in me? I am not worthy...why Must You insist that I am? Nicole....how Daddy misses Thee...in my arms for six years...and thirty six more years in my heart...to You God I want to Shout out "ONLY IN MY HEART" ...Why ONLY SIX YEARS in my arms...will I ever truly comprehend...HAVE FAITH IN YOU FATHER...I am just a man with a deep, deep longing for my daughter...that is it isn't it...Nicole never BELONGED to me...She was ENTRUSTED to me...but Nicole became me and me HER...I MUST LEARN THAT THERE IS NO ME APART FROM ALL THOSE WHO I HAVE LOVED and WHO HAVE LOVE ME...

    Will you have faith to let me meet your CHILD? I PRAY that you will.

    May the peace of GODS GRACE be with you always.

    Paul

    ReplyDelete